Flexible on location: England or Wales
The role of Chief Executive of Citizens Advice is one of the most exciting and relevant in civil society at the current time. A complex, multi-faceted position, the Chief Executive leads a client focussed team who have ambitious goals about the difference they can make to millions of people’s lives. We are a data-rich, insight-led, social business with almost £300m of funding enabling us to support a vital network of local, independent charities across England and Wales leading to significant potential influence over government and public services, and substantial social and economic value to society.
The new Chief Executive will build on the considerable achievements of the outgoing Chief Executive, Dame Gillian Guy. Citizens Advice has a long and proud history of helping people solve their problems. Our role in society is more important than ever and our overwhelming ambition remains as it always has – we give people the knowledge and confidence they need to find their way forward – whoever they are, and whatever their problem. To meet this bold ambition we are transforming the way we do things – through our future of advice strategy – to meet the changing needs of our clients, keep pace with rapid technological advances and stay ahead of an increasingly competitive environment whilst playing to the strengths that have sustained us for the last 80 years.
The Chief Executive will provide strategic leadership, vision and direction that enables Citizens Advice to deliver the next stage of its future of advice strategy, ensuring it remains effective and relevant to the needs of our clients.
Working closely with a strong executive team, the Chief Executive responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide visible and empowering leadership, nurturing an inclusive and values-driven service wide culture in which equity, diversity and inclusion is integral to all that we do;
- Create the conditions in which everyone is accountable for the delivery of an efficient, financially-sustainable and high-performing service to our local network of charities and our clients;
- Lead the next phase of delivery of the Future of Advice strategic framework including a significant multi-channel, digital technologies transformation and creating an environment in which positive, insight-led change and transformation can take place;
- Hire, manage and maintain a strong, effective and inclusive executive team that in turn creates a collaborative working environment;
- Ensure the organisation discharges its governance, constitutional and legal responsibilities effectively;
- Influence across a broad set of key stakeholders and ensure that Citizens Advice is a leading charity driving long term social policy development.
- Lead the ongoing development and delivery of our future of advice strategic ambitions and define the next evolution of our multi-year strategy and financial plan. In the development seek appropriate input from the trustee board, the network of local offices, staff and other key stakeholders;
- Take the lead in ensuring that the national organisation delivers an excellent value proposition to our network of local Citizens Advice charities; listening to and understanding local network views and needs; and forging and maintaining strong relationships with them;
- Ensure that Citizens Advice effectively fosters and contributes to cutting-edge thinking and innovation to improve the experience we offer or meet more client demand through improved gathering, understanding, and usage of data from local and national sources;
- Work with the senior leadership to develop operational plans and budgets as approved by the trustee board and in line with the overall strategy, ensuring consistency and high achievement across the service.
Advocacy and communication
- Listen to, understand and define the social justice challenges and solutions that matter most to those that come to Citizens Advice for help, advocating on their behalf and influencing key decision-makers in government, funders and policy makers face-to-face and through traditional and social media;
- Build strong relationships with trusted partner organisations and specialist providers to help our clients find a way forward on all issues;
- Act as the credible leader of the organisation and the senior spokesperson for Citizens Advice, communicating with the media and on behalf of the service as a whole;
- Ensure that the brand and profile of Citizens Advice is developed and promoted to foster support for the organisation with all stakeholders.
If you would like to find out more about this exciting opportunity and application process, please visit our microsite: https://search.green-park.co.uk/citizensadvice-ceo/
If you want to know more about the role or selection process, please contact our Executive Search partners, Green Park on CharitiesandSocialEnterprise@green-park.co.uk or 0203 145 3430, and ask for Jon Morrison.